Sunday, July 21, 2013

Day 7, Saturday, July 20, 2013

Maiden Rock to Merrick State Park  77 km in 4 hrs 14min Total so far 500 km

Happy 2nd birthday to my lovely grandson Soren!! NO SLEEP so it wasn't hard to want to get up and get going . While packing , I talked to the other two sets of campers near me that wern't partying and they were as frustrated as I was. One of them had also called out at 1 am. The ride was lovely-not much traffic-high bluffs on my left and on my right far below was Lake Pepin. I stopped in Pepin -the birthplace of Laura Ingals Wildler and took photos at aparki named for her. Then I had another egg breakfast at a little cafe there. I passed a couple of wineries and also went over the Chippewa River several times. Even though it was 87 in the pm , it felt way cooler today. I'm still drinki8ng gatorade and Powerade all day and am also using the electrolyte pills given to me by Isaac from the bike shop.I stopped at Alma at a cemetery to do my hourly stretches, then at a Beef Slough sign and Riecks Lake Park . During the day 30 young bicyclists from Bike and Build.orgnus (Habitat for Humanity) kept passing me in groups. Finally I had a chance to talk to one of them-Christina Straider--they are supported so they are lighter and go farther. At Cochrane, I saw a sign for a Gospel Church and told myself if I could get a place there I would stay for worship tomorrow and take a rest day. The pastor, Ken Shirley was out cutting the grass and I talked to him and he said he would look into it. I went to the park around the corner for lunch. He came back after and said there was no one to stay with and suggested Merrick State Park for me so off I went. The lord wants me to move on. I made it to the park and met Rick Conrad who is from Wyoming. His car is in Milwaukee and he is going around Wisconsin in the opposite direction of my trip. I gave him Caroline's address as maybe I will be there. After a shower, I set up and tried to do an International call on my phone to Soren but after 5 tries it did not work-probably something I'm not doing correct. I slept Fantastically !!! even though in the distance I could still hear trains. I take many more photos but am just showing a few!


























No comments:

Post a Comment