Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Day 10, Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Day 10, Tuesday, July 23,2013

From Blackhawk Park to Prairie Du Chien  About 62 km in 3 hrs. 11 min  Many more answers to prayer.  I woke up at 5:30 with the birds. The tent dried overnight so that was great. I packed up and picked up Powerade at the little camp store and was off. I tried to listen to  music but my speaker had static so I turned it off. Early mornings are nice with no wind and hardly any trafficI stopped in DeSoto to ask about the road up ahead that I was told was closed due to mud slides this spring. They  said it was due t o open Aug. 3. One girl thought that motorcycles could go through. I prayedthat that was the case. I stopped at all the historical plaques which I find quite interesting. I  also stopped every hour to stretch which I didn't do yesterday. I passed the bridge over the river to Lansing, Iowa. That was one alternate route but I heard it was quite hilly. All the little rest stops have signs saying to take your garbage with you. At Ferryville, I stopped for a snack at an overlook. There were millions of June bugs but a lovely view and a very lovely memorial bench to a woman who passed away. I asked about the road closure once more but when I came to the actual closure , it did say that motorcycles could go through. What fantastic riding I had almost all alone in the middle of the road. That was good because the edge part was terrible! It went on for many kms and there were slide areas everywhere and patches made to the cement barrier. However , the whole way, I did not see any workmen. After it ended it was a short ride to Prairie Du Chien with a stop at a big Cabella's on the way. I didn't need anything, though. I rode to Culver's for lunch and checked out a few motels. I called my former student, Bernice and left messages on the phone and cell. She doesn't know about my trip. She is probably on vacation with her family. If I don't hear from her , I will head east tomorrow along the Wisconsin River Hwy 60.  I decided to Take a 40 dollar motel and wait to see if she calls back tonight. Wendy and Bill here have been very good getting me better internet reception, doing a load of laundry for me and giving me much information. Later, I walked to the grocery store and worked on the blog. I pray that the weather stays good. I  hate to get a motel when it's nice out. I thought about going to Wyalusing Park but may not have phone reception there or internet.
































1 comment:

  1. We think of you two often, especially when we are on our short runs ,very short runs on our bikes.
    Safe travels, may the wind be at your back and may the Lord guide your way and may you get many deserved smiles and hugs....Hugs, Deb and Chuck, "Sea people Art" Liverpool NS

    ReplyDelete