Thursday, September 5, 2019

Wednesday, Sept. 4th, 2019 Day 5 of Bike-Barge Trip, WIND, RAIN and a few DETERMINED BICYCLISTS

We were moored in Den Helder for the night and a group of us decided to bicycle without the guide  this morning despite high wind warnings and rain in the forecast. We would meet everyone else at St. Maarten's floating bridge. We started off and got lost in the city and had to ask for directions a couple of times.


 
Finally we made it to the high dam along the sea and sure enough it was VERY WINDY right in our faces.
The water was very wavy and there was a wet mist in the air.

There were some boats in the water including this fishing boat.

The first hour was quite a struggle even for me who is a veteran and even for those on the ebikes. I was going to suggest that we go inland but our knoopunten took us into the dunes anyway.

There was some respite from the wind in the dunes but not entirely.
Sometimes sand was blowing in my face. I had written out the knoopunten numbers on a card so I could tell them where to go. I took the lead for quite a while and fought off the wind. It was drizzling rain and became heavier as we went on. We didn't stop for a coffee or tea break . We were looking forward to getting on the barge and drying up BUT only Sietse and one other guy met us. The barge had left the Floating Bridge because no one else wanted to ride in the rain. Josephine was also smart and stayed on board. We bicycled on and were thoroughly drenched when we finally stopped.

We had a hot drink and some blew their hair dry in the bathroom and I let warm air from the hand dryer go down my rain pants.

They all thought my hot chocolate and brownie with whipped cream looked tasty.

A while later we stopped at a small museum and watched a film about how they make the new dikes with sand from the sea. Sietse showed us the hands-on experiment table.

Watching the film

Sietse wanted us to stop somewhere to eat lunch but everyone voted to bicycle right to the barge in Alkmaar and get dry.
After I showered and changed in the barge where we were moored for the night, I walked into Alkmaar twice (I went back once due to rain).  It was not cheese market day so the square where I had so much fun with Sarah and Dane 5 years ago was empty. I had hoped to find the vendor selling the small statues like the one that I got in 2014 but no luck. There were no booths. The only thing I bought was an umbrella.

Canal

Selfie

Church

By the canal

Narrow streets

Church

Stadhuis

Fancy bicycle

Another church

They are working on restoration.

Our supper that evening was very fishy.

Herring

Mackerel
Tomatoes and shrimp

Mackerel paté

My plate

Main course-Salmon on pureed spinach, peas and mashed potatoes

Dessert - sweets from a local store

Our table tonight
As we were eating these rowers went by.

I did not go for the evening walk because I had seen most of the town before supper and I was tired.






No comments:

Post a Comment