Monday, September 23, 2019

Saturday, September 14th, 2019 Josephine leaves, Floriande Market and Hageveld

Today was the day Josephine was going to fly back to Montreal and then take the train to Ottawa. I thought it would be nice to see her off. I got out of bed and left without breakfast. I took the Overbus bus that goes to Hoofddorp station and then to Schiphol. I did not see her or Ellen there so I sent her a message. They were still on the bus. I said I would meet them at the main entrance. But when I got outside I realized that there were multiple entrances to the building. I worked my way toward the entrance closest to the spot where I had boarded the bus with them the day of Josephine's arrival. I thought it would be a miracle to find each other with so many people coming and going but then I spotted them coming toward the building. We went in and said goodbyes and took photos and then she went through the passport gate and up some stairs and disappeared.


I invited Ellen to have tea or coffee. It took a while to find a café with some room. I paid for our drinks. Afterwards Ellen left for home. I took the bus but instead of getting off at my usual stop I went one stop farther and got off at Floriande with intentions to see what was at the market.

I saw a "stroopwafel" stand and bought 2 packages. Then I noticed he had dough to make them. I watched how he sliced from the dough log.

Then he put the slice under the press for one minute.

When the thin slice came out, he flawlessly cut it in half.

He did this to several of them.

Then he spread on the syrup.
He was very generous with the amount of syrup. Then he covered it with the other half.

And to my surprise, he then put it in a paper package and gave it to me as a gift. THANK YOU. It was very warm and I ate it slowly.
A little farther along was a cheese booth. I sampled some and then bought 2 pieces of cheese with cumin in it.
He vacuum packed them for me.

Another booth had flowers and I also bought 2 packages of raisin buns before I walked home. I put one pack of buns in the freezer.
The fish in the pond.
In the evening we watched some vacation slides of Dick and Carla. They have been all over Europe. At the end we looked at more photos of the 1923 planning and construction of Hageveld, a seminary.

The cupola being built. Later my cousin, Dick , discovered my father's name etched in one of the girders.

My grandparent's house. My grandfather worked as a caretaker especially of the heating system.

Previously the house was used by the architects.

Before Hageveld was a school.

Plan of Hageveld

My grandparent's house is in the lower right corner with an orange roof.



During  World War 2, attempts were made to whitewash the building so the Germans could not find it.
More whitewash


However, it was found and occupied by the Germans as a headquarters.

German soldiers


I tried to leave the living room and say goodnight by 11 because I had told Dave that I would  SKYPE. 

No comments:

Post a Comment