Sunday, September 22, 2019

Friday, September 13th, 2019 Afternoon in Amsterdam

I found out that Josephine and Ellen had changed their plans for the second day in a row and were not going to Amsterdam today so I decided I would go on my own. I told Dick that I would be back in the afternoon to help set up  for Carla's surprise retirement party and then I left and took the bus that would take me all the way to the outskirts of the downtown area of Amsterdam.. I used google map to show me my way toward my destination which was the market called Waterlooplein Flea Market, one of the few markets in Amsterdam where haggling is commonplace.


As soon as I stepped out of the bus, I noticed this old car and asked two young men taking photos of it if they could take a photo of me also. 

When I got off the bus,  I could also see the Rijk's museum not far away.


I had not had breakfast so I decided to stop at a cute little cafe for a brunch of Dutch "pannenkoeken " or pancakes with chocolate and whipped cream. It was delicious. While there I witnessed one young man that when he saw any girl getting her photo taken on the bridge over the canal, he would run up to her and get on his knees and propose marriage. He always seemed to get a hug from  his efforts.

In a big square farther along I asked someone to take my photo with Rembrandt. Here he is surrounded by many soldiers. 

These men were playing their accordions in the same square so I asked someone else to photograph and I eased my way in between the men for a photo. Then I gave all my coins into their basket. 

I continued following google directions and enjoyed walking through the narrow streets.

I saw more wooden shoes that Emily would like.

This painting of a canal scene was in one of the little shops.

Broken heart

Every time I cross a canal bridge it becomes a photo opportunity.

A young lady did a great job on this photo.

As I was walking along this man in a cartoon suit was approaching my direction accompanied by two others with big cameras. I told him I really liked his suit and asked if he would be in a picture with me. He said yes and one of his buddies took the picture. I never did find out why he was dressed like this.

I passed by many canal tour boats from different companies.



These flowers were for sale on the Flower market street.

Diamond Factory-Amsterdam, a Diamond City. Amsterdam has a 400 year old heritage in the diamonds, and has been a major diamond centre since Sephardic Jews introduced the diamond cutting industry in the late 16th century. Diamond Factory Amsterdam. Right after World War II, in October 1945 Samuel Gassan started the factory in the city center of Amsterdam. His company was a wholesaler and retailer in one. Importing and exporting rough and cut diamonds


Bicycle taxi waiting for business

Amsterdam House Hotel-Amsterdam House Hotel has a great and central location - close to the busy centre, but it still gives brings you the peace and quiet you'll need to have a relaxing holiday in Amsterdam.


Fancy top floors on this building

Stephen and Penelope's-the largest selection of hand dyed and exclusive yarns, pattern books and knitting and crochet supplies. Run by Stephen West and Malia Joseph.

"Very helpful and friendly shop to visit! They have their own Dutch yarn that is specifically dyed for their shop that is a must see and buy!!!


In the market area on Waterlooplein there were shoes, shoes and more shoes for sale.

Black and white shoes

Shoes of all colours

Emily would go crazy here.

Hand made crafts from bicycle wrecks found at the bottom of the canal



       
Very nice but more money than I wanted to spend





Three wheeled trikes with flowers

Another beautiful canal scene with a church tower in the distance

A bicycle full of ducks

Shall I take it for a spin?


Thank goodness alcohol is not allowed. I had a good day in Amsterdam. I bought a few souvenirs-hat for Emily, some coasters, a bicycle plaque . I made my way to the train station, and took a while to find the toilet in Central Station. I actually went in at the front and finished at the back of the building before I found one. Then I went into an office there to ask if my OV card was good for the train and they said it was so I took the train to Hoofddorp station and then switched to the bus to get to IJweg and made it home in time to help vacuum the bottom floor of the house and help with party decorating.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dear,
    Thanks for sharing such a useful blog. Really! This Blog is very informative for us which contains a lot of information about the Counselling For Men. I like this post. Please visit at "taxi hoofddorp naar schiphol",Taxi Schiphol Alkmaar | Online uw Taxi Bestellen, Onze klantenservice zijn 24/7 bereikbaar | Meest Betrouwbare Taxi Schiphol & Omstreken [TIP]


    Visit Here - https://taxi020schiphol.nl/ Thanks

    ReplyDelete