Friday, July 30, 2010

Day 78- Andy and Rika-Goodbye Newfoundland- Hello Nova Scotia







Day 78 Sunday, July 25, 2010 Distance 9.06 km. Time 25 min. Total so far 5355.65 km. I woke up early in my top bunk on Deck 3 of the ferry and forced myself to stay there until about 7:30 Nova Scotia time. I have never had a shower in a boat so off I went to do that while Dave and the couple below us were still sleeping. When I finished, Dave was up and waiting in a chair on Deck 5. We moved to the cafeteria to find a plug in for the computer. We could get the ships wifi but the boat was too far from land and could not get us on internet. So I started to type in Word Processor. There was a couple at the end of the table and I could hear them talking to each other. I thought the lady had a Dutch accent so finally, I asked if she was Dutch. It turns out that both Andy and Rika are Dutch and came to Canada in their 20’s, married in Burlington and now live in Langley, BC. They have three children and 10 grandchildren. They are on a 6 month holiday as a celebration of their 35th wedding anniversary. They have come across Canada to NFL. and will return through the USA. They are pulling a trailer. We found out that the whole family is very musical playing fiddle, flute, mandolin and other instruments. They love Celtic music and have made a CD with another family. On Andy’s 60th birthday everyone came dressed in kilts and they decorated their house like a pub and played songs all night long. Rika's hobby is knitting. She can do it in the car as they drive along. Andy is in sales for a big flooring company. They are foster parents and are very involved with their church. We took a photo and said goodbye after they were done their breakfast, Dave and I just had an apple and a couple granola bars from our food bags. We moved to another spot to see if it was better for internet as we were getting closer to land. While there, Andy and Rika came by again and sat with us and had a cup of coffee while we told them tales of our adventures. She and I showed each other photos of our grandchildren and she showed me how her iphone worked. They are great LITTLE things compared to our computer. She also showed me some of her trip photos. She has a digital camera with a strong lens. She has a real eye for taking beautiful pictures. I saw all her St. John’s photos which was nice since we didn’t go there. She is collecting pictures of windows and I told her I have been working on a collection of mailboxes and also fences. An announcement came that we were approaching the dock. We hugged goodbye and she said she would find our bicycles on the lowest level because she wanted to give us a copy of the CD that her family had made. As we left that room we also met Clara and Craig again and asked them about the ferry to PEI. and said we may look them up there. We changed by our bunks and went to the bicycles which were at the very back so we would be the last to leave. Rika was there with the CD and also a phone card for us to use. We wished each other safe and enjoyable trips. This 14 hour trip sure seemed to have gone by fast. We bicycled past one car that wouldn’t start and were off to the campground that we stayed at before. On the way, the second batch of vehicles from the deck above our bicycles passed by and Clara and Craig waved. At the Arm of Gold Campground, I got up the nerve to ask if we could stay in the basement of the “barn” (recreation building) again and he said yes. If we didn’t mind the music from a concert tonight above us that is. That’s great because then all our things will be dry and ready to go in the morning. We unloaded and Dave went off to do groceries while I did a load of laundry and a blog. After he returned, it poured rain for the rest of the evening. We had a nice bun with beef and cheese and had grape tomatoes and some small cucumbers on the side and butter tarts for dessert. It was our first full meal of the day and went down well. I did another blog and we went to bed. Dave fell asleep pretty quickly but I was awake until the music ended at 10 o’clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment