Friday, July 23, 2010

Day 74- Reaching Terra Nova National Park



















Day 74 Wednesday, July 21, 2010 Distance 91.97 km. Time 4 hr. 48 min. Total so far 5139.35 km. Happy Anniversary today to Chris and Melissa in Roseneath ON I got up early this morning and wrote a blog about Geoff and then emailed my siblings and my children with Janice's address. The breakfast coupon worked out great and Dave and I felt privileged to be sitting in the dining room with teapots, bacon, eggs and toast and jam. It would be nice to start off every morning that way. While I packed, Dave rode back to the visitor center where, sure enough, he had left his two water bottles on the top of the porch railing. And thankfully no one had moved them. We got bread for lunch at the grocery store and were on the road again at 8:30. We still have not seen any moose even though the sign says “Moose 26 km” at various times during the day. I guess we need to ride in the evening for sightings. I felt good today. There were lots of hills and after the first hour the sky brightened and it got sunny and warm again. I always tell everyone that the Lord brought us and the sun together to NFL. We met three young male tourers going the opposite way. Ian, Chris and Mike are from New York, Massachusetts and I think San Francisco. They flew into St. John’s and are on Day 4 of a tour of NFL. and Nova Scotia. They have certain dates to be back and have to plan accordingly. We are blessed to have no time restrictions on our trip. All three were riding Surly Long Haul Trucker bicycles and were very pleased with their performance. Mike had an interesting setup on his handlebar. He had his Flip video camera mounted and was taking videos here and there. Later we stopped and looked at Joey’s (Smallwood) Lookout overlooking Gambo. There was a spectacular view of the town below and the tide out waters of the bay filled with rocks. It was getting hot so I took off my socks, changed to my bathing suit top and put on my sweatband and had Dave lather me with sunscreen. The only problem with that is that at the end of the day you feel dirty and really want to wash. At the Gambo River, I took a photo of a fly fisherman. All the brooks have signs saying you can only flyfish in them and some don’t allow any fishing at all. All the guys wear those little beige vests that you attach your flies to. This river was wide but not deep and had lots of rocks. We had lunch at the Terra Nova River where the ES Spencer Bridge is. We saw a few motor boats going along that wide, deeper river. Finally, we reached the boundary of Terra Nova National Park. Gear 2 became very important as we now had hill after hill after hill after hill. You know what I mean! The inside of my right knee was getting sore. We passed the two park campgrounds but they were both several kms. off the road so we continued on to Charlottetown, which is a small town not included in the park. We looked behind the tennis courts but it was up too high a grade. We checked a gravel pit and a dirt road but I couldn’t see any good spot. Finally we went to the motel to see if we could camp in their spacious, green back yard. Instead the lady pointed to the dirt road that I had just checked out. We went way up that road and although she said there were a couple of sites and wanted ten dollars, all we found were piles of gravel and rocks and one little patch of wild flowers- no picnic table, no toilets, no water, no fire ring (although we never have fires) -NO chargeable campsite. We parked on the wild flowers -clover, daisies and buttercups and spent the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment