Saturday, July 10, 2010

Day 62-WINDY, WINDY, WINDY !!!











Day 62 Friday, July 9, 2010 Distance 63.58 km. Time 4 hr. 21 min. Total so far 4400.27 km. It was another day for Dave to carry a dry tent which makes a big difference in weight. At Ingonish beach, we had to wait a little for construction on a bridge. We then started the day climbing Cape Smokey. The scenic views are beyond words. My good friend Mary would do a great description job on the beautiful blues of the water, the different greens of the trees and the whites of the puffy clouds in the sky and the reds on our faces and skins. The downhill was really scary requiring lots of brake work, sore hands and weight shifting to go around the sharp corners. What really added to things today were the very high winds that came in gusts. At one point it blew my bicycle sideways into the lane. At Wreck Cove General store, we downed a whole bottle of Gatorade each to restore our electrolytes. I put on my bathing suit top under my safety bib to be as cool as possible. Every day we are rolling up our shorts and you wouldn't believe how much cooler that is. A few days ago Sylvie told me she got her shorter bicycle shorts from a company called "Terry" which I will look up upon my return home. At Indian Brook there was a CAPP building for internet. We had lunch there and called about the Newfoundland Ferry. Sunday is full and we want to arrive there in daylight so we will leave at 8 am on Monday morning but have to be there an hour and a half early. We also emailed the Oram family in Cornerbrook to give them our information. I emailed my children to let them know our whereabouts and we were off into the wind. We turned to Hwy. 312 and went down along St. Ann's Bay which is a short cut. As we rode on the part with water on both sides to approach the short free ferry ride, the wind could have carried me away if I was lighter. I like ferry rides because it's a little break just like a portage on a canoe trip. A short ride after that brought us to Englishtown Ridge campground. We had to get off and push our bicycles up their steep, gravelly, dusty 500 m entrance road. It was a nice place with laundry facilities, pool, games room and little snack place. We set up in the shade near the pool, had showers, did laundry, did computer work and every time I got too hot as it was about 90 degrees in the shade, I would get wet in the pool. Sarah skyped us and we saw Jordan and talked with Gordan who are in Calgary for a while after a wedding in Kamloops BC. Sarah went to the opening parade of the Calgary Stampede today.

No comments:

Post a Comment