Sunday, July 25, 2010

Day 76- Those awful rumble strips










Day 76 Friday, July 23, 2010 Distance 73.55 km. Time 3 hr. 59 min. Total so far 5299.30 km. It rained a lot during the night which helped us to sleep better as the sound of the rain on the tent roof covered the sound of the trucks next door at the Irving station. The visitor center grass was nice and deep and level so for a change the floor of the tent stayed pretty dry. The night was cooler and I landed up putting on my toque and sleeping in all my clothes for the first time in weeks. We were waiting until the center opened at 8:30 to call about the ferry again. The rain changed to a sprinkling mist and gave us the opportunity to pack things up. They had no new news about the ferry. While I was eating my breakfast there a couple came in and were talking to the lady about how all the motels in St. John‘s are full this weekend due to a soccer tournament and a big running race and they had to book one an hour away. In the conversation, they mentioned that they were from Northern Ontario. When I asked where, they said they lived in Sault Ste. Marie. We all couldn‘t believe it. Mike and Joan live on McNabb St. not far from our house and we pass their house almost every day on our way to the YMCA or to do groceries. They have come through the USA just like us. They are visiting St. John's for a few days and are also booked on the Tuesday ferry. We had our photos taken together. It was 10:30 when we hit the road which is very late for us. It was foggy and drizzly and eventually turned to rain. The worst thing of all today was the appearance once again of rumble strips. We have had them off and on on Hwy 1 but today it was the worst. The guys who did the strip or the guys who did the side of the road must have been drunk when they were working. There is a definite zigzag to it. It should have been made to hug the white highway line but varies in distance from it. The side of the strip that the bicycler has to manoevre varies from two feet wide to 6 in. to nothing at all to some spots where even half of the strip has worn away. Most of the photos I took today in the rain were of these dangerous areas, so that I can complain to the NFL tourist bureau. It is dangerous enough to peddle them in good weather on the flat but when you add wind, wet weather, a downhill, debris from glass and truck tires and more traffic, it becomes crazy!!!!!!!!!. We had lots of hills after the first hour. At one point, I saw a tourer on the other side of the road but it was too rainy and foggy to cross so we yelled hello. His partner was coming up somewhere behind. They had flown in to St. John’s and had done one tourist loop so far. He wasn’t heavily loaded so they must be staying in motels. I took his photo from my side of the road and went on. I guess at the same time, Dave who was a ways ahead saw the female who was putting her chain back up on a sprocket. He asked if she was okay and when she nodded yes, he went on. I can sympathize with her as that happens to me about 3 times a day just as I am going up a hill. When I passed her, I waved but that made my bike hit the rumble strip for a few feet. That can damage your rims very easily. We stopped in the rain after 3 hours and had a very quick peanut butter bun. Instead of turning off to a shortcut road to Placentia which would be too far for today we decided to go on to the HWY. 100 cutoff where there was a motel. Dave said to start praying that there would be a room available. Well I was praying for our safety anyway so I added that to my list of requests. It is very easy to pray while riding a bicycle. There is all kinds of time. We arrived at the Moorhead Motel drenched and our prayers were answered as there was a room and we could move right in. Guess who we met there-none other than Mike and Joan from the Sault. After we got settled, they were nice enough to drive us to the grocery store in Whitburne for some items. I also visited with them when I was taking time from blogs to eat my supper. I published 4 blogs although later I discovered that 2 were out of order. We also talked to Sarah, and then Matthew on Skype. I LOVE SKYPE. It is so nice to see my children and grandchildren as if they were right here. It rained for the whole rest of the day so we would have been in a sorry mess if we had had to tent today. Just before bedtime, Dave called the ferry number again and found out that we wouldn't have to go by standby but could have a spot on the Saturday ferry and have top sleeping bunks as well. What a relief! Thank you, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment