Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Day 59 - Two broken spokes











Day 59 Tuesday, July 6, 2010 Distance 54.21 km. Time 2 hr. 48 min. Total so far 4055.0 km. I woke up early again and had us on the road by 7:30. Marie told us to take a side road where we would get nice views of the bay. We passed Little Judique Harbour through a single car bridge. Later we rode into Port Hood and got some breakfast food. Back on Hwy 19 we passed dairy and cattle farms and made our way up and down hills to Mabou, home of the RANKIN family. At one spot I hurt the inside of my ankle on my peddle when I was taking a picture so I said I wanted to stop for awhile at the grocery store.. While Dave was inside, I thought I would feel my tires which I had pumped this morning. We are carrying our big pump and although it is heavier than little ones, it works 100 % better. I decided to feel Dave's rear tire for some reason and when I bent down to look, I noticed two broken spokes that had snapped at the rim end. I told him the bad news. He is getting very expert at changing them and we were both happy that I had found it before the rim had a chance to be damaged. He thinks it may have happened when we came down a big hill yesterday and he couldn't move for a pot hole at the bottom due to the traffic. Within an hour we were on the way and would still have had a good day but when we arrived in Inverness, it started to rain harder so the idea of the campground farther up the road didn't sound as good as the Inverness lodge which we chose just in time. We unloaded, went to the grocery store for supper items and I got Dave to take me for a juicy hamburger that I have been thinking about on my bicycle for several days. I am now caught up with the blogs. Hooray also for the Netherlands soccer victory over Uruguay today. Tomorrow, weather permitting and Lord-willing we will reach the actual Cabot trail.

2 comments:

  1. it was great to meet you guys today. I'm the guy on the bike Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm George's friend, Jean. And, it's nice to meet you by way of your blog. :-) Safe travel!

    ReplyDelete