Thursday, June 10, 2010

Day 32-Siver's overhaul and our "best" campsite so far













Day 32 Wednesday, June 9, 2010 Distance 42.o8 km. Time 2 hrs. 23 min. Total so far 2250.65 km. We left the campsite a little later as the bicycle store wasn't expecting the part until later in the morning. I took the time to take a few more photos. At one motel, there were several statues that I snapped. The motels are busy with a big motorcycle event called Americade this week. Big bucks for them. In Glen Falls, we bicycled over the Hudson River which was not very impressive due to the smokey factories on each side. At Rick's Bicycle Shop, we got a very friendly hello and I stripped Silver down to the bare minimum. I said a prayer as the UPS truck came in, that my parts would come and the Lord answered my prayer. While quiet Dave worked on Silver, Bob and Jeff (Reese's pieces) who handled customers kept us feeling at home right down to serving chocolate brownies to us. Silver got two new wheels and brake sets, a new chain and new front and back chainring sets to go with it. My bike has never had a chain replacement and apparently, I should have changed it every 2500 km. or so. I took her out for a test drive without all the packs and she was hard to control because she was so light but she felt so smooth and there was no slippage and instead of cranking twice for the front rings, I only had to do one. We had a talk with Nancy, a triathlete and then took photos of Jeff, Dave and Matt and Bob and said we would recommend their store to everyone we meet. We loaded up and with new road directions we were off at about three so since it was starting to sprinkle we went a ways and then in Fort Ann looked for accommodation. The not so good looking motel there had skyrocketed their rates so we went on and finally due to the very busy section of road and the rain, we decided to camp. It was our "best" spot yet. First, it was next to a busy road, and by a railroad track. Second, it was wet and we had to go past some garbage, and third, after setting up the tent as fast as we could in the rain, we noticed all the poison ivy around. Anyone that knows me, knows that poison ivy and I don't get along at all. I had a hard time convincing Dave not to eat in the tent and told him about the picture at the bike store of a huge bear outside their store window. We wolfed down a peanut butter sandwich, hung the food and went in the tent. We had rain all night and are having leakage problems in one corner where the pole goes into a snap and also for some reason our floor got damp in some spots, mostly under me. I didn't sleep all night for the noise and Dave snored away.

No comments:

Post a Comment