Thursday, June 10, 2010

Day 30-On the road again











Day 30 Monday, June 7, 2010 Distance 100.75 km. Time 5 hrs. 42 min. Total so far 2136.10 km. Elevation climb 7130 ft. (We're wondering if the GPS was correct on that) We started at 7 this morning and Dave really wanted to travel! He seemed frustrated when I wanted to snap shots. I tried keeping my camera on top of the handlebar bag and taking some on the move but it bounced around too much and was dangerous for me. Finally, to make it faster, I just tucked it into the top of my leg warmers. Usually it is in a case attached to the top bar of the bike. There were hills on both sides in the distance and we passed cows and horses and farms. The corn here is about 8 inches high. We went through, Maryland, Schevenus, Worcester, Richmondville and Cobbleskill and all the hill climbing was in the afternoon which is harder. During snack break, we met Bob out jogging along the highway. He is very upset about the gas companies trying to come in. At Price Chopper we talked to Chuck who bicycled from Detroit to Montreal when he was 25. As we were cycling out of the parking lot, Tom came over to see if we needed any help. He told us about a park down the road because I didn't want to eat at the grocery store because of the rotten smell in front of it. But Dave stopped sooner when he saw a closed auto dealer place with a good overhang. That worked out good because dark clouds came over and it sprinkled for a while. I'm always frustrated when I pull on my rain gear and it clears up again and gets sunny. I played my music for the third hour and Dave wondered what I was doing waving my hands around going down a hill and I replied that I was leading my orchestra playing this beautiful music to the hills. We were disappointed when we came to Duanesburg and the town park sign said Dawn to Dusk so we couldn't camp there. We went further down the road with me leading and I saw a little strip of cut grass going off the highway from a for sale sign. Dave went to the three houses nearby and got permission at the last one. I only was a little nervous as a few moments before we had passed a 5 foot alive snake on the road (I did not stop to take a picture) but you will be happy to hear we didn't see any that night camping and we slept well.

No comments:

Post a Comment