Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Day 23-Teeter-Totter on Memorial Day









Day 23 Monday May 31, 2010 Distance 63.42 km. Time 3 hrs. 48 min. Total so far 1573.40 km. Elevation climb today 7839 ft. As we were leaving the motel, we had a talk with two motorcyclists from Ontario. I noticed one item that they pack that we don't--Bike polish. They were busy making their machines beautiful. They also like it that they don't have to wear helmets here. We left the caterpillars that had stolen a ride on Dave's bicycle yesterday behind in the garbage. Someone told us that the purple bags strung from the trees here snd there are to catch the millions of flies that are after the caterpillars. All I know is that I have to keep my mouth shut when going downhill fast. My fastest is 59 km on a downhill and I can feel the bugs crashing into my body. Today was like being on a teeter -totter all day as we were going up and down, up and down and up and down! It was extremely hot -the news said this was the hottest spot in the nation. I put on my Trek head band. Dave had to stop partway up one hill because he couldn't see anymore for the sweat. We wanted a short day because the highway would get busy with people returning home from the holiday weekend and may be under the influence. In the morning, we met bubbly and young Shannon and Brandy and enjoyed their enthusiasm for us. We reached Towanda at about 2:30 and stopped at a gas station and I guzzled down a whole cold drink. As we looked for the park, I found a wallet on the road filled with cards and money (I didn't count how much). It belonged to James N who lived in that town on Hillcrest St. We weren't going down and up the hill so I called from the grocery store and had to leave a message. We then went to the police station and tried to hand it in. No one was there but we talked to a lady on the red phone and told her the police could find us at the park. As we were biking into the park a young officer stopped and we handed over the wallet and I gave our name and blog site. It's a bummer that we didn't get a photo because Dave's hands were busy holding my bike. We set up under the canopy and later in the evening met Stacey and Chris and their black lab. Stacey is a high school English teacher and Chris is a mechanic who has lost all kinds of business after Obama announced his new incentives to pay for old cars if you buy a new one. They invited us to their place in New York if we take Hwy 20 but we will stay on Hwy 6 tomorrow for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment