Thursday, July 27, 2023

From Vic in Breda to Mieke in Boechout near Antwerp

 I woke up at 5 and checked my phone messages. I was downstairs by 7:30  and had most of my bike altogether. An early start becuse my next host wanted me to arrive in early afternoon and I had over 60 km. to cycle. Vic and I had tea and I had granola, fruit and yogurt sweetened with ground apricots. Then we hugged and said goodbye. May God bless Vic. Thank you for hosting me.

It was cool today and riding was nice. I photographed a war tank, some ducks in a row, houseboats and a strange statue. 

Then when I went to make a right turn to cross a street , I turned the handlebar too far and took a fall. A car stopped and two others behind them. Renée and Jos pulled over to the side, lifted their engine hood and ran over to pick up me and Silver. Then although I have a first aid kit Jos got theirs from the car and patched up my knee. Luckily I did not put down my hand and break my wrist. May God bless them for coming to my help. I waved goodbye and then had to fiddle a little with the chain  until it finally worked. 

I crossed the border into Belgium and followed the Edward canal for about 20 km . There were 10 locks on it. The water  levels kept going down. 

I took a short lunch break. It started to sprinkle and I put on a coat and rain legs but it never poured.  Finally I arrived at the address and met Mieke and Bob. We put Silver in the shed and had a cup of tea together and got acquainted During the afternoon I worked on requests and photos and we talked about our families. Bob was busy repairing Mieke's flat tire on her new E bike. She made a delicious supper of zucchini and cucumber  soup and couscous and beet roots , a tomato and cheese salad and a cucumber and cheese salad. In the evening they left on their bikes to meet family at the circus and I had a shower , did requests and photo work.





















No comments:

Post a Comment