Monday, October 13, 2014

247. Europe Bicycle Trip--Disappointment At The Bicycle Store and Paintings At The Frans Hals Museum




Today is Day 86, Friday, July 11th. My morning reading--"The Lord hath done great things for us (me), thereof we (I am) are glad." I stayed at Dick's for the morning. I did some packing, had tea with the family and then walked Quintus and Victor in t box. What a disappointment as he recreation area Toolenburg for an hour.After lunch, I took the bus to the centrum and went to the bicycle store to check on my bicycle and see when it could be picked up. What a DISAPPOINTMENT! They had not taken off the chain. Silver was not packed exactly the way I had her packed to come to Europe and I had given them the diagram to follow. Two of the panniers were unpacked and there was no plastic bag holding any screws. I said that it was not acceptable and the guy indicated he didn't want to do anything to change things. I went to look for the owner and he was more obliging. He pulled Silver out and removed the chain. Then I padded the sides with the panniers and it took a long time but certainly she was not as well protected as when she came. I was not happy! It took most of the afternoon for me to deal with this. I expect that my front wheel will be damaged when I get back to Canada. I taped the box as best I could and sealed the top. I was happy that he didn't charge much because I would not have paid it. For a Dutch bicycle store, I found it disappointing. We would come tomorrow morning to pick up the box. Then I hurried to catch a bus to the main station and then the bus back to Haarlem.
Door of Wilheminakerk in Haarlem

A street organ
A typical narrow street in Haarlem

The Frans Hal Museum is on this street called Groot Heiligland

Front door of the museum

The building was built in 1607-1610 by Pieter van Campen as an almhouse for old men. The gateway and main building are still original. It was used as an orphanage from 1810-1908. It has been occupied by the Frans Hal Museum since 1913. The collection includes 16th and 17th century paintings by artists such as Frans Hal, applied art and an 18th century doll house.

My museum pass allowed me in and I started the tour although I had arranged to meet Dick and Carla at a cafe at 5 pm and that was only a half hour from now. It was too bad the bicycle shop affair had taken so long. Maybe when I leave I will stick my head in that hole with those painters.

I took many photos of tthe paintings. These are just a few that I have selected for the blog. This painting shows a painter doing a mother and child.

This central panel shows the path of Jesus through the streets on the way to the cross.



This painting shows the placing of the crown of thorns.

Adam and Eve-1620 by Cornelis Cornelisz van Haarlem

De Doop van Christus in de Jordaan (Baptism of Jesus in the Jordan) ca 1592 by Cornelis Cornelisz van Haarlem


Moeder en kind,(Mother and Child) 1622 by Pieter Fransz de Grebber

De Grote Markt met de Grote of Sint Bavokerk de vleeshal en de Vishal, (The Big Market, with St. Bavo church and the meat hall and the fish hall)1696 by Gerrit Berckheyde




No comments:

Post a Comment