Saturday, October 4, 2014

237. Europe Bicycle Trip--Wheelchairs, Bunkers in the Dunes, and Norwegian Family

Although it was an overcast, drizzly day, I was enjoying following the bicycle path along the coast going north. The wind was on my back for the second day in a row which was "sweet".
Near The Hague, I came upon a parade of wheel chair athletes who had started their ride way up north in Den Helder. I videoed and photographed them.

Entrance sign for Westduinpark en Bosjes van Poot-(West dunes park and Groves of Poot)These are nature areaswithin the city limits of The Hague. Together they cover 235 hectares. There is a lot of biological Variation in the dune park, with dense forests and open plains, steep slopes and viewpoints to more than 30 meters above sea level. The largest animal is the fox and there are many species of birds, including the nightingale. Many plants thrive in the nutrient-poor sandy soil. The Groves of Poot are named after gamekeeper, Willem Poot (1857-1932). The groves consist dunes rich areas planted with pines and oaks.

Entering the park dunes on a "sweet" path

This sign tells people that in the dunes are may bunkers built before and during WWII . Most are covered with sand. Many "Vleermuizen" (bats) have made their homes in the bunkers.

Two bunkers-one on the right top and one on the left middle of the photo

A pathway veering off toward the beach of the North Sea

Three bunkers-right, middle and left

Rose hip bushes along the path

A little farther north past The Hague (Den Haag) I came to the city of Scheveningen and took a photo of this three wheeled cargo bicycle. Another little bicycle is leaning on the back wheel of the cargo bicycle.

The green bicycle has an interesting frame.


"The residents of Koppelstok Street wish Netherlands soccer team very much success.
A photo of the orange decorations of the street made the local newspaper in Scheveningen. Tonight is the big Quarter final game between Netherlands and Costa Rica. That is the reason why I am going all the way to Hoofddorp today to Dick and Carla's house. I could not get a room at anyone's house on the way because they were all going to be busy with the soccer game tonight.


This  Board store in Scheveningen looked interesting because.......
...there was a bicycle with a special board holder attached to it in the rack by the store.

An old water tower

Back  in the dunes--When I arrived neat Katwijk I was back in an area of the dunes that I had cycled back on May 8th when I had left Oegstgeest and cycled to the dunes to head north toward Akerslot. 

I stopped to eat my lunch and this family from Norway stopped to talk to me. They drove their car to the Netherlands and are doing short overnight trips with their two daughters. His father was Dutch.

In Katwijk I passed this memorial to fishermen who kept things going during the war years, 1914-1918.

Katwijk-a seaside resort town located along the North Sea where the Oude Rijn River flows into the sea.it is 16 km north of The Hague and has 63,000people.

Many sailboards to be seen today because it was windy.


8 more kilometers and  I arrived in Noordwijk , another seaside resort.
These security personnel didn't mind being in the photo of all the resort hotels. From Noordwijk, I would now follow the bicycle paths inland and toward Hoofddorp.

1 comment:

  1. I have always wanted to go to the beach at Scheveningen!! I'll have to go back some day!! We saw bunkers on the beach near Oma's old house and one in their backyard!!

    ReplyDelete