Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Wisconsin Bicycle Trip- Day17

Wisconsin Bicycle Trip Day 17, Tuesday, July 30th, 2013

84 km in 4 hrs. 30 min from Cera Park 10 miles from Steven’s Point to Wausau.

Today is Dave”s birthday--Happy 67th Birthday. On the road by 6 :30  is a great way to start the day. A lovely road with no traffic. In less than an hour , I arrived at Steven’s Point and was looking for Trigs grocery store which I was told was open 24 hrs a day. I had to ask one lady directions but made it and did my groceries for 2 days. Afterwards while I was eating my yogurt outside, I talked with Sue , a local bicyclist about my route out of town on less busy streets. She didn’t want her photo taken but was a big help. Then with the help of the GPS, I was over the river again and on HH and then 34. It was drizzling but not enough to put on rain gear.I had to decide on E or 34 and since it was drizzling and it wasn’t busy, I decided to shorten the way to Wausau by taking 34 straight north. I went through Dancy and had to go over a couple of bridges near Knowlton. There is a Mullins Cheeses Factory somewhere there but not in my direction. I used old HWY 51 to get to Mosinee where I had to decide again which side of the river to take. I stopped at an insurance place and the guys suggested going over to the other side and the one guy showed me the route on his Blackberry. By going on the west side , I would avoid having to bicycle through Rothchild and Weston and instead would come into the outskirts of Wausau where there were some hotels. First I stopped at Riverside Park in Mosinee for my lunch. There were nice commemorative stones on the pathway there. There was also a farmer’s market being setup. I then rode KK with several big hills and N to R to Wausau. Along the way I could see big , black billows of smoke from the paper mills across the river. The first hotel I saw was a Best Western so I went in to ask questions. Their prices were good so I was lucky to get a main floor room for Silver and I and it had 2 beds and a desk and table and lounging chairs---very nice. This hotel has a HUGE pool area. I swam briefly, had a whirlpool, did laundry where I talked to Toni, a bus driver with her husband and then I sent out 4 journals although I was frustrated putting on photos because it kept copying the ones in my folder.Internet worked better before the hamburger supper that I had in their restaurant. I never seem to have time to watch TV. Sarah skyped and I talked with Caroline.
































No comments:

Post a Comment