Monday, August 12, 2013

Wisconsin Bicycle Trip-Conclusion

My first solo bicycle trip was quite successful. I am very thankful to the Lord for watching out for me every part of the way. He brought me to the right people and places at the right time. I cycled 1511.43 km or 906.86 miles in 25 days. I had 2 rest days, one of which was due to rain. During the trip, I camped at 9 campgrounds where I paid and then 2 places where I stealth camped-one in a bush and a second behind a building at a Lion's Park. I stayed in 6 motels . I asked to stay at 4 homes-the farm of Bill Buhler, the home of John Crumley (after my cracked rim), the home of Bob Daniels and by the Cooper family autobody shop and I spent 3 nights at Al and Lois Smith's where we also stayed on our last trip and the last home was Caroline's house in Ashland.  I had NO flat tires but Silver did get a cracked rim on the back tire (from the big cracks in the cement streets of the towns) and the Lord arranged for me to stay overnight at John's house and in the morning he brought the bicycle and I into River Falls, a short distance away , where the rim was replaced and where I met a wonderful Christian father and son, the Byron's. The weather was very HOT for a week but the last couple of weeks of the trip were cool and most of the rain came in the last few days when I had a house or motel to keep dry in. I only rode in pouring rain the day, I reached Lacrosse.  Most of the roads had nice pavement and good sized edges. The worst road was HWY 16 going north into Wisconsin Dells, which was also the busiest tourist place. I had a bear, many deer, a fox, a raccoon and a mouse cross just in front of my bicycle. Most of the dairy farms were in the central area going west and east. The rivers were BIG with lots of green, still waters along the sides. The most spectacular views were from Wyalusing State Park where the Wisconsin River empties into the Mississippi River and the view is from the top of the bluff. The most satisfying time was when I reached the source of the Wisconsin River at Lac Vieux Desert. I went on 3 boat cruises and I took about 2000 photos and spent about 1400 dollars for everything including gas for the car to get to Ashland and back home. I read 47 Psalms and prayed and talked to the Lord continually and watched every car behind me through my rear view mirror as He made sure they went wide around me.

         Thank you again to everyone that helped me. I will pray for all those that befriended me and that I gave my card to .  If it is in the Lord's will, my next bicycle trip plan is to visit the country of my birth, The Netherlands next spring and/or summer to cycle there.

No comments:

Post a Comment