Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Wisconsin Bicycle Trip-Day 18

Wisconsin Bicycle Trip, Day 18, Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Wausau to Sara Park in Tomahawk  86 km in 5 hr.

The Best Western in Wausau has the best continental breakfast that I have ever had--eggs, toast, bagels , cereal, waffles. Muffins, Jelly rolls, fruit, , ham, Potatoes. I filled up and also took a bagel and cream cheese and an apple for my lunch. I crossed the Stuart St. Bridge and traffic wasn’t too bad. I met a mother and her 2 children on bicycles on a path right after the bridge so I asked how far it went and she said Bridge Street so I took it for a while but it eventually turned to gravel so to spare Silver I headed in a few streets and finally came to 6th street which eventually became County W. There was one fantastic BIG hill to climb to leave Wausau which must be in a valley. My 1 hour break was iat the Brocaw turnoff. I had a few more hills until the road paralleled a railroad track so then it was flat. Finally I reached HWY 64and turned left into Merrill. It is really too bad that a lot of towns and cities in the state have cement streets because over time all they do is develop BIG cracks that are really hard on bicycles and cars. I stopped at a little shop and had some ice cream and then rode through the town and found HWY. 107 . I thought it would be flat as it followed the river pretty closely but I was WRONG. It went up and down and had lots of hills. I would look at the GPS and see titles like Granite Hill and Big Hill and Lazy Meadow and I would know there would be up and downs. Low gear and my legs got a good workout today. I got a few mailbox photos for my collection. I really need to publish them in a book one day. \Whenever the river presented itself, I would take a picture.There was no edge on the road but there was hardly any traffic and the pavement was good. I stopped at the top of a giant hill to rest and there was a memorial to a Father Menard. Finally, I reached Rd. S . I saw a baseball diamond and shelter and thought about camping there but went on and stopped at a bar(there are lots in Wisconsin) and asked if there was camping in Tomahawk. He said yes so I went on and in the town I  stopped at a dollar store and bought Powerade, chocolate bars and some chips-that was bad and probably because I had not had lunch. SURPRISE--The Sara Park was absolutely FULL. Apparently there is a Outboard Motor Club Incorporated of USA and Canada big show and sale. There were hundreds of booths with motors and parts, racing boats on the river and the arena was full of boats on one side and engines on the other.  I talked to  one guy who was sipping his beer. He was selling a wooden race boat that you kneel in for 600 dollars. Most people are staying in motels . This show comes here every year the third week of July for 4 days. I asked the ladies in the arena if I could set up behind a bench by the beach and they said they didn’t care so while I put everything up, I talked to John who is here from Florida. He has been a member for over 20 years. He has been to Sault Ste. Marie and the Bushplane Museum and the Agawa Canyon but did the train trip in the summer and found the train cars very HOT after the stop in the canyon. I called Caroline’s friend, Nikky, again as I would be going near her house tomorrow. She answered from SOUTH DAKOTA as they are on vacation going to Wyoming. For a long time I talked to Nana Campana from Illinois . We exchanged addresses as she lives near Bernice Walker , my former student. She lives right on the Mississippi River and her husband,John, started collecting motors a few years ago. She is a former librarian and teacher with 7 grand children. I felt bed eating the junk food while I talked to her and for supper I had the bun that was supposed to be my lunch.Later the skies starting getting dark and I went in the tent and only opened he door once to take a sunset photo.































No comments:

Post a Comment