Monday, August 30, 2010

Day 110- A loudspeaker said "Watch out........"














Day 110 Thursday, August, 26, 2010 Distance 82.14 km. Time 5 hr. 19 min. Total so far 7604.82 km. After a wonderful visit with Chris, Melissa , Kate and Isabelle at Bull’s Road near Roseneath, it was time to continue our trip home this morning. Everyone was getting ready to go. Melissa had to go to work today. Chris was going into his nursery school to work. Daffy was out for a walk with, Lavonna, a terrific neighbour and we were loading our bicycles. After a few goodbye photos we were off and around the corner at the first hill, Silver’s chain wouldn’t drop down and I was totally frustrated before we had even done a couple of kilometers. We worked our way down Masters Road and to Hwy. 29 which eventually turns into Hwy. 9 . Today was going to be a very, very hilly day. It was also going to be very hot. The dogs were in good form and Dave knows now how agitated I get with them so every time one of them came out after him and he out raced them, he watched to see what would happen to me as I was behind. On one uphill, I was glad there was wide pavement on the side and we were way over on it. I got a scare when I heard a voice from a loudspeaker . I looked sideways and saw a police car and heard “Watch out for the house behind you.” My first thought was that he should have said horse not house but I took a look behind me and a huge double mobile home was being towed up the hill on a trailer and behind it was another police car. If we had been a little farther up the road, where there was no edge, we would have had to go in the ditch. We stopped for lunch in Kendal after coming past the bottom of Rice Lake. We got chocolate milk and went to a picnic table at the community center where we met Tyler, who will be starting grade 9 and Ashley who is going into grade 6. They are very blond haired children who were here with their grand parents who were inside cleaning. Dave gave them a geography lesson by asking them where all his flags were from. They only knew the Canadian flag. We had thought to go north on Hwy. 115 for a short distance but bicycles weren’t allowed on it so we took a variety of country roads which finally led us to Hwy. 20. Along this stretch, we could hear loud buzzing sounds. At first we thought it was wind turbines as there were signs indicating that people don’t want them. Later it sounded more like cars racing. Silver acted up again and for the second time we had to turn her over to work on the cable adjusters. That’s when we noticed that the ring that is supposed to stop the chain from falling down was rubbing on the cable. I have complained at various bike stores during this trip about it and no one has done anything. I think I want it off. We put on some lubrication and fiddled with the cable adjustment and it worked again for a while. All this time we heard car noises and when we started again we passed the Mosport International Raceway where a race or time trial was in progress. We finally made it to Hwy. 20 which was busier and at one point a pickup truck passed a bigger truck and squeezed past Dave. First I thought he might slide in again when he saw me (I even have a reflective triangle on the front of Silver) but he kept right on coming. I should have hit the gravel at that point but froze and instead I held my position but it was very scary. I also had another car today beep and beep at me from behind as I was going up a hill and then brush closely past me and Dave didn’t like it that I gave him the thumbs down sign of discontent. Speaking of discontent, many of the farmers around here voice their discontent by some of the signs posted on their land. Up and down hills and up and down more hills and we came to Hwy. 57, went a little farther to Burketon and found an almost perfect town park with a canopy to put the tent under. The only thing missing was a picnic table but we managed with the baseball bleachers. We had some preteens come to the toys for a while but other than that it was quiet.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mom & Dad!
    I'm sorry to hear you had such a cruddy day with drivers in my region of the country! :( Thats Ontario for you. And I guess I didn't help much with your bike if it wouldn't even shift downon the first hill!! And that is a challenging hill, too! Hope you can get some help for your bike soon.
    That is really funny about the mobile home coming up from behind and the loudspeaker announcing it! That would have surprised me for sure!
    The girls and I really enjoyed our little visit with you! So glad you stopped in! Thanks for your work on the their table manners...I'm continuing what you've started! We can't wait to see you again Grandma & Grandpa! Safe travels for the rest of your journey!!

    Love you
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete