Tuesday, August 12, 2014

179. Europe Bicycle Trip--Schloss Liebeneck and Marksburg Castle and Joachim and Elka

This is continuing to be a wonderful bicycling day.
Just after leaving the town of Boppard I saw this "Bopparder Hamm" sign in the vineyards.
The next village on the other side of the river after Filsen is Osterpai and I like how they have the name of the town on the breakwall.
Osterpai showing Schloss Liebeneck on the top of the hill and Osterpai Kirche to the left in the town. Schloss Liebeneck was erected in 1590. After World War I, French troops ravaged the castle. Later it was repaired and in 1972, the family Schnierle bought the castle and converted it to their family home.Today, viewing is only possible from the outside.
The next village was Spay on my side of the river.
Marksburg Castle over the town of Braubach
Marksburg Castle is a fortress above the town of Braubach.The fortress was used for protection rather than as a residence for royal families. It was built around 1117 to reinforce custom facilities.The "keep" (tower) as built first and the castle grew into its present shape throughout succeeding centuries.  In the Napoleonic period the castle was used as a prison. Finally, it was sold in 1900 for a symbolic price of 1,000 Goldmark to the German Castle Association which had been founded a year earlier as a private initiative to preserve castles in Germany. In March, 1945, the castle was heavily damaged by American artillery fired from the other side of the Rhine. Today it is a museum with artifacts of the Middle Ages.
The village of Rhens--an old city wall with an archway leading into the centrum.
A paddlewheel boat
An interesting garage door
Approaching Lahnstein on the other side of the river
I had been following this couple for a little while and when they stopped to have a little break, I stopped also and introduced myself to Joachim and Elka Fox who are bicycling to Bad Breisig today. I said that I was going that way also and asked if it would be all right if i tagged along behind them through the city of Koblenz. They only speak German but got the idea of my request and said it would be okay. I always like this because it takes a little edge off the thinking and looking for signs for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment