Saturday, August 30, 2014

187. Europe Bicycle Trip--Following Carola and Michael to Camping Platz Berger--Thankfully No Flooding This Year

After passing through the Industrial Park run by Xervon the cycle path went away from the river and I ran into Carola Regel who was cycling a little way behind her husband, Michael. Carola and I struck up a conversation. They are from Bonn and cycling to Cologne and then planning to take the train back to Bonn later today. Michael is required to know some English for his work.
Michael and Carola Regel who were out for a day's bicycle ride
The Kanu or boating Club Grun Gelb has been functioning for 35 years.
A roadsign by the canoe club--I would ant to be the guy on the top!
I had not felt good this morning but I did manage to cycle 63.80 km in 4 and a half hours of riding time. So far on my trip I have cycled 2030 km. I rode with Michael and Carola up to Camping Berger and then said goodbye. It is always nice to make friends during the day and give them my card.
I set up in a little spot that I could find between all the rows and rows of trailers. It started to rain so I closed everything and covered Silver and headed inside the main office to use 2 hours of internet.
A wooden sculpture in the office.
A photo on the wall of the Rhine River and the campground in the foreground beside the river
Another photo showing the whole campground as well as land behind it all flooded a the river levels increased
The lines on the wall show the flood  levels during different years. The highest mark is 10.41 feet on January 2, 1928.
Photos showing the campground and buildings under with flood waters
I felt that part of my not feeling ell problem was that I needed some good food instead of my little camping meals so I had a meal in  the restaurant.
I felt better in the morning and got off to an early start for Day 65.  I planned to bicycle from Koln to Neuss.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you had a good meal. It is important to keep up your strength when you are exercising as hard as you were cycling so far every day. Pasta was a good choice!!

    ReplyDelete