Thursday, August 28, 2014

181. Europe Bicycle Trip--Goodbye Joachim and Elka, Camping Klause, and Castle Rheineck

Joachim, Elka and I continued cycling north of Koblenz along the Rhine River on a beautiful day and on a great bicycle path.
A bicycle trip can't get better than this-great scenery, beautiful weather and friends.
Happy Go Lucky Life of the Bicycler
I am never alone--In the deep waters or trouble times, Jesus will carry me through!!!
A field of poppies-always a reminder of fallen soldiers no matter what country they are blooming in
Grounded
Approaching another reactor like I have seen before
Approaching a big interesting  bridge in the distance
The town of Weissenthurm, about 12 km. northwest of Koblenz
Neuwied Bridge- a cable stayed bridge with fan system built in 1974-1978 and joining Weissenthurm on this side of the river to Neuwied.
Medieval remains
Entering Andernach, settled by the Romans and a former fishing village, now population about 30,000
It was a late lunch time and Joachim and Elka decided to stay in Andernach and go to a restaurant . I said thank you and gave them my card.
I watched them disappear through the archway into the town and then I sat on a bench and had a little of my food for a lunch. It had been a fantastic day so far.
Andernach- looking one way down the street at lots of hotels and restaurants
Andernach-the other view of the street
Burg Namedy sign but no way to get a photo of it past the wall.
I left Anernach and cycled on to the town of Bad Breisig. The campground that I was looking for in Bad Breisig was no longer operational to my dismay so I had to take a ferry over the Rhine River to Bad Honningen on the other side to Camping Klause
The office- I couldn't get internet to work to let Dave know where I was and I couldn't get contact my friend in Remagen
My Ome Jan and Tante Betty would like this campground as it is ACSI inspected.
I don't think much of campgrounds where tenters are stuck in open areas with no shade. This is on a HOT day where I cycled over 6 hours and over 91 km . No shade, no table.......no comment!
Later in the evening, I asked a camper if I could use her phone to try to call Beatrix Michels who lives in Remagen and who I made acquaintance with while waiting in the line up to get into the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam. I got her husband but he doesn't understand English and I don't speak German so I we did not get far with me trying to tell him that I was near Remagen and wanted to visit. Well, I did try as I sent an email a couple of weeks ago and I tried to call. I was sad that I wouldn't be able to see her again. I went for a walk to the river bank. Looking back over to the side of the Rhine that I had cycled, I saw a castle on the hill and the town of Bad Breisig.
Castle(Burg) Rheineck
The Rhenish Palatinate Counts built the castle in the 11th century. It has been destroyed and restored many times over many years The current owner, Kal Krause bought the castle in 2000 and has done many renovations but it is not open to the public.
Bad Breisig --According to its name, "Bad", it is a spa town.  For example--Romer-Thermen in Bad Breisig specializing in thermalbath, sauna, wellness and fitness studio
Sunset over the Rhine River after a long, exciting, cycling day.

1 comment: